Over the years I have listened to hundreds of clients and students make excuses for not exercising—seriously, I think I’ve heard them all. And I always say ‘the key is finding something you love to do’.
So today I’m going to share some of my tips to making exercise more fun:
- Don’t do it alone. Go with a friend. The buddy system works so well. If you are not feeling motivated, maybe your friend is, or vice versa.
- Don’t over do it! The temptation to get stuck in and work like mad because you haven’t exercised for a while is so strong. Resist! Go gently. As we say at Feeling Absolutely Fabulous, ‘gentle change leads to permanent results’. Take it easy and you won’t injure yourself. You have all the time in the world.
- Don’t commit to an exercise regime until you have tried it for a while. Sometimes the initial endorphin rush is mistaken for loving the exercise. See if it works for you and your lifestyle first. Then make the commitment.
- Do schedule exercise into your daily calendar. If you make an appointment with yourself you are more likely to keep it than saying ‘I’ll get round to it when I’ve done everything else’.
- Do something you can afford. The stress out-weighs the benefits if you cannot afford to do it. Walking is free. Running is free. Doing the housework vigorously is free, which brings me to my final tip for today:
- Moving your body is exercise. You don’t have to wait until you can join a program or pay for a gym membership. Get physical and clean the house. Get physical and go shopping: park the car away from the mall entrance and walk vigorously around the mall. Make love with enthusiasm—teehee! Get down on the floor and play with the kids/grand-kids/pets. Move it or lose it!
- And think about what you eat! Good nutrition partnered with some exercise and you’ll soon be Feeling Absolutely Fabulous!
- And get physical with some love.